Nearly a thousand years after the building of the grand Parthasarathy Swami temple in Triplicane, Chennai by the Pallava king Thondaiman Chakravarthy, the Parthasarathy Swami Sabha was founded as a public institution in 1896 to foster performing arts under the auspices of the presiding deity of the temple. That makes the Parthasarathy Swami Sabha, one of the oldest and first of its kind performing arts clubs in the country. Parthasarathy Swami Sabha has been home to innumerable musical legends of South India in its nearly 120 year history. Almost all of South India’s best performing artists have graced the Parthasarathy Swami Sabha with their performances and today, being invited to perform in the Sabha is perceived to be a stamp of excellence.
Committee Members :
President: Dr. Nalli Kuppusami Chetti
Hon. Sec.: R.Vijayaraghavan, M.Krishnamurthy
Vice President: Mohan Parasaran, P.Vijaykumar Reddy, Dr. Jaya Arunachalam, M.Balasubramaniam, A.Natarajan
Special Advisory Committee: Gopal Srinivasan, S. Ramadorai, Praveen Chakravarthy.
The Sabha has instituted three awards annually namely, Sangeetha Kalasarathy for a Musician, Natya Kalasarathy for a Dancer and Nataka Kalasarathy for a Dramatist. And also it confers best performer awards for young talents were given for Vocal, Violin, Mrudangam two awards on each category who performs during the December Music Festival. The Sabha also has confers two awards The Palghat Mani Iyer Centenary Award, instituted by Nithyashree Mahadevan and M.L. Vasanthakumari Award, instituted by Sudha Raghunathan